Find out more about VPN Services
What is VPN Services?
A virtual private network (VPN) safeguards your identity and data on the internet. VPN services utilize different types of protocols to encrypt and transport your data securely. These services are cost-effective and at the same time provide the same level of security offered by private networks. Your information is not safe while accessing the internet using public Wi-Fi hotspots. Plus, many internet service providers analyze stats from your online browsing for marketing purposes. Also, social networking sites such as Facebook and search engines like Google store data on your online surfing behaviors indefinitely. You can utilize a VPN service to protect your data on public Wi-Fi hotspots as well as from internet service providers, social sites, search engines, and hackers.
Most Popular VPN Services
Best VPN Services
How To Choose The Best VPN Service
A VPN service helps you to protect your online surfing habits from prying eyes. There are many good VPN services in the market. So, how do you select the best VPN service for your browsing needs? We help you in your quest by detailing the top features to look for in providers.
Get to know each product with free trial
A good way to start is to sign up for the free trial offered by the best VPN services. This will allow you to test drive each provider’s features without investing any money. We recommend you visit the websites of the following providers to learn if they offer a free trial: IPVanish VPN, NordVPN, PureVPN, KeepSolid VPN, and TunnelBear VPN.
VPN services are typically utilized by the following internet users:
- Students and workers
- Security enthusiasts
- World travelers
- Businesses and websites
Examples of VPN Services
- IPVanish VPN: Offers high speeds and secure access. This easy-to-use software ensures online security. Highlights are: user-friendly interface, kill switch, automatic IP address cycling, allows BitTorrenting, and hundreds of servers around the world.
- NordVPN: A robust VPN service that offers a good feature collection. Utilizes Windows client to secure your online privacy. You can access media content without regional restrictions. There is an app for iPad and iPhone. Uses powerful encryption and no-log policy. Has more than 1000 servers in more than 60 countries.
- PureVPN: Offers fast and secure VPN service. Uses 256-bit encrypted VPN servers to protect you online. Provides a good mix of basic as well as advanced features. In addition, there are unique features such as split tunneling that make it stand apart from the VPN service crowd.
- KeepSolid VPN: Provides unlimited Internet connection. You can purchase a 100-year subscription. Highlights include: specialized servers, personal VPN server, Allows BitTorrent and P2P, flexible and affordable pricing, and numerous servers around the world.
- TunnelBear VPN: Simple VPN you can use to surf the web securely and privately. Unlock websites anywhere in the world with apps for Chrome, Android, iOS, PC, and Mac. Top features include: works with Netflix, advanced tools, browser extension, kill switch, good download speeds, pleasing design, and inexpensive pricing.
Types of VPN Services
There are two main types of VPN technology:
- Remote Access VPN. Allows users to remotely access the resources and services of a private network through the internet. This technology is useful for both home and business users.
- Site-to-Site VPN. Also called Router-to-Router VPN. Useful for businesses that have offices in different places as they can use this technology to link the networks in the different office locations.
Key Features of VPN Services
- Security. VPN services provide you online anonymity and security.
- Privacy. Protects your private data. Prevents your confidential info from being monitored, logged, or intercepted by prying eyes.
- Content access and streaming. You can access geo-restricted content and streaming sites, and perform P2P file sharing activities.
- Hide IP address. Sends your internet traffic through their server to hide your IP address.
- No logs policy. Ensures your private data is not monitored or tracked.
- Automatic kill switch. Protects your internet traffic even when VPN connection drops.
- DNS leak protection. DNS leak technology ensures your online activity is guarded at all times.
Benefits of VPN Services
- Cost savings. Simply subscribe to a plan and the service takes care of network setup, surveillance, and maintenance.
- Improved performance. The VPN solution enhances the bandwidth and efficiency of your network.
- Change IP address. The service provides you an IP address from another nation.
- Bypass filters and website unblocking. Bypasses internet filters and gives access to blocked websites.
- Online anonymity. You can access both websites and web applications in full anonymity.
- Share files. Ideal if you have a team that needs to share documents over the long term.
- Remote control. Company employees can access information remotely from anywhere.
- Improved security. Your data is encrypted and secured from prowling hackers.
Mainstreaming of VPNs
Previously, VPN services were used by those with technical knowledge as this technology was considered too complicated for average internet users. However, today most internet users have learnt that it is important to protect their online privacy and data. In addition, most VPN services offer an easy-to-use interface that anyone can understand. Therefore, it has become essential for VPN providers to make their interface user friendly to keep up with trends and the competition.
New Technology and Protocols
VPN services use protocols to encrypt a user’s internet connection. Hackers as well as prying entities are constantly developing new methods and technologies to get their hands on internet users’ private information. VPN services are rising to the challenge by developing their own new protocols to combat the threats. This can be compared to what is happening in the antivirus software industry which is constantly updating its programs to combat new viruses and malware that are created every day.
Businesses need to be wary of the following challenges that can arise while using a VPN service:
VPN needs a good understanding of network security problems as well as careful installation and configuration to ensure your internet connection is fully protected.
Organizations cannot directly control the performance and reliability of a VPN as these depend on the quality of technology and service offered by the VPN provider.
Another issue is VPN solutions from different providers may not be compatible due to the different technologies they may be using. This may cause technical issues when you try to mix and match equipment delivered by different vendors.
List of VPN Services Software Companies
Page last modified
Our Score Read More
FinancesOnline makes use of our proprietary SmartScore™ approach to analyze all the applications in the VPN Services category in orded to help you pick the best possible software. It evaluates the following factors: main features, collaboration capabilities, customization, integration, intuitiveness, customer support, security, support for smartphones and tablets, ratings in media. Currently, Norton WiFi Privacy is the leader in this category and we gave it the highest score in our tests. After detailed testing it received the best results among its competitors and our reviewers strongly suggest that you include it as one of the solutions for your needs.
User Satisfaction Read More
An overview of total user satisfaction with the products in our VPN Services category evaluated with our unique algorythm that gathers customer reviews, comments and opinions across a wide set of social media sites to help you make an informed purchase decision.
Pricing Read More
Every vendor in the VPN Services category will have a different set of pricing plans for its service and every plan will include a unique group of elements. Below we list the overal pricing for the cheapest package offered for each service. Keep in mind that advanced features may have an extra cost.
Devices Supported Read More
A summary of what type of devices and operating systems are supported by these B2B tools in the VPN Services category, including mobile platforms and web-based solutions.
Laguages Supported Read More
Check which languages and geographies are served by the top B2B solutions in the VPN Services category, including solutions aimed at international markets and prepared for multi-cultural groups of employees.
Pricing Model Read More
Find out what pricing plans are provided by the vendors in the VPN Services category to see which one suits your business requirements and budget best. Note that some services can offer free or freemium accounts for you to test first.
Customer Types Read More
A brief look at what kinds of customers a given B2B platform in the VPN Services category provides for, from small businesses and non-profits to big enterprises.
Deployment Read More
An overview of what types of service deployement are provided by each B2B vendor in the VPN Services category. Even though the majority of modern SaaS services are cloud-hosted certain services might offer an on-site deployment model too.